8.11.2009

Chicken Alfredo Pizza With Fresh Basil


My sister works at a nursing home as an activities coordinator. Her residents planted a garden this summer, and as a result, I have received a bunch of herbs! I love basil, it is my favorite herb, so I was pretty excited to get a bunch of it. I really wanted to make a white pizza with it. Unfortunately, DH is the type to look at a pizza with no sauce, and no meat, and would say "Wow, great garlic bread. Now what's for dinner?" And to be honest, I kinda think that way too. What can I say, we like meat! So the white pizza evolved into a chicken pizza. And then I got adventurous. I decided to make my own alfredo sauce. I looked at a few recipes and came up with one that used what I had in my fridge. It turned out really good! We loved this pizza!

Of course, I used a TON of garlic. Feel free to cut back if its not your thing. It wasn't super garlic-y, at least, not to us! I used about 1/2 cup of the sauce, and we both agreed it could have used a little bit more. Use your judgment!

Chicken Alfredo Pizza With Fresh Basil
Chicken:
4 chicken tenders (or equivalent in boneless/skinless chicken breast)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons dried basil (estimated)
salt/pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil

Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups half and half (This is what I started with. It was really thick and I ended up adding a few more tablespoons at the end)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt/pepper to taste

Pizza:
1 tube pizza dough
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 sprigs of fresh basil, coarsely chopped

Heat tablespoon of oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic.
Add chicken, season with basil, salt and pepper.
Cook until chicken is done, about 4 minutes each side.

In a saucepan, melt butter. Add minced garlic and saute for about a minute.
Whisk in flour. Let cook for a minute.
Whisk in half and half.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring, until it thickens.
Add cheese, salt and pepper.
Stir until cheese is melted, simmer another 2 minutes to let flavors combine.
Spread pizza dough out to desired thickness.
Spread minced garlic on dough.

Spread desired amount of sauce onto pizza dough.


Slice chicken on an angle into thin stripes and sprinkle onto pizza.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella, covering chicken.
Sprinkle fresh basil on top of cheese.


Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes; or follow directions on pizza dough.
Enjoy!



1 comment: