8.01.2009

Wild Blueberry Chicken Breasts and Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

For the first ingredient challenge on "What's Cooking?" the ingredient was blueberries. I can't say I was absolutely thrilled with this choice (no offense!). I do not make desserts, pies, breakfast-y stuff that blueberries are usually in very often. So I thought I would just sit this one out. But then I decided to look into what recipes are out there for a main dish. I found a few with chicken and decided to give it a go!

DH complained from the get-go that he was not going to like blueberries with his chicken. Now, DH is a converted picky eater. He sometimes forgets that he likes alot of things he didn't use to. So I made the recipe anyways.

It turned out pretty good! Different, yet tasty. Neither of us cared for the mushy texture of the blueberries, but if you don't simmer them as long as I did, they will probably be fine. I worried that the sauce would lose the blueberry-ness if I didn't simmer it enough. This was also my first time cooking with wine (I know, how could I have never cooked with wine before? Well, we are not big wine drinkers, therefore never have it in the house, nor do we search out dinner ideas with wine. So its just never happened.) I was surprised at how much I liked the flavor it gave the sauce! The whole dish was an experiment for me.

So while I will probably not make this dish again, I am glad I did. It was a step "out of the box" for us that turned out well!

I served Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with it. This was also a first for me. I was really happy with how it turned out! To the melting butter, I added half a clove of minced garlic (of course). And then decided that wasn't enough and added 1 1/2 more. But that's optional. I guess.







Wild Blueberry Chicken Breasts


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 3, because my stores only sell packages of 3)
1/2 teaspoon cajun spices (I just sprinkled it on)
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, diced
1/3 cup red wine (I ended up using 3/4 cup of Merlot because it wasn't saucy enough for me)
2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt, if desired
salt and pepper, to taste
Dust chicken with the Cajun spices.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook chicken until brown and almost cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. If the breasts are thick, you can cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
Remove the breasts from the pan and keep warm.
In the same pan, sauté garlic and onion over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until transparent.
Add red wine and reduce until mostly evaporated.
Add blueberries, zest and salt.
Simmer for 5 minutes. If you are using frozen blueberries, be sure that they are heated through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Take pan off the heat and let sit for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
Spoon mixture over chicken breasts and serve immediately.
Recipe Credit: Roosie on Recipezaar



Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated cheese, to sprinkle on top
paprika
(I added 2 cloves minced garlic)

In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour. (Add minced garlic to melted butter)
Let sit for a minute.
Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
Season with salt and cayenne.
Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
0Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
Top with some paprika for color.
Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350F.

Recipe Credit: Vicky G. on Recipezaar

No comments:

Post a Comment